Logan County Farmers Market New Farmer Mentorship
Job Description-2019 Growing Season
The Logan County Farmers Market will provide a paid mentorship during the 2019 Market season to an enthusiastic individual who wishes to grow produce professionally for the Logan County Farmers Market. This project is funded by Duff Quarry.
The Logan County Farmers Market will provide a $750 stipend that will be paid upon the completion of the project to the selected mentee. The mentee will be selected through a competitive application process. In addition to providing the stipend, The Farmers Market will offer the mentee 1 year of free booth space and pay for product liability insurance for the mentees during the 2020 Market season in order to help with startup costs. The mentorship will take place March through September. Hours dedicated to the mentorship will vary and be agreed upon by the mentee and the farmers they are mentoring.
The 2019 mentee will be paired with market growers, Truck Patch Naturals, Ryan and Amanda Kerns. The mentorship will include exposure to different growing and production methods, and the mentor applicant must be interested in pursuing chemical-free production in order to qualify for this year’s mentorship.
Applicant must meet the following criteria to be considered for this position:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have some experience or a significant interest in gardening/farming/crop selection/seeding/weeding, etc.
- Have access to growing ground or a plan to obtain ground to grow on for Market
- Live and/or grow locally in Logan County or within a 20-mile radius of Bellefontaine
- Have plans to remain local for a minimum of the next 5 years and sell at the Logan County Farmers Market during that time
- Have a preference or commitment to chemical-free or organic growing
- Be willing to work evenings and weekends. Attendance at Saturday market days (7am-1pm) is a must
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Working with current Market Manager and professional farmer mentors to implement a regular mentorship schedule. This schedule can be flexible but must include Saturday markets May through September.
- Assisting farming mentors with all aspects of their farm during the growing season
- Working with mentors to create a plan of action for Market growing for the 2019 season, anticipating needs of market customers, marketing strategies, growing schedules, and product needs of Market.
- Providing outstanding customer service, being able to build relationships with internal and external customers, and having a passion for fresh local food, organic growing methods, and community wellness.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
or LCFM, PO Box 3 Bellefontaine 43311